Healthy Breakfast – Gluten Free- Coconut Chocolate Chip Scones
Dad’s Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone Recipe is dedicated to my HERO….my amazing dad who loves coconuts.
My dad is the sweetest, wisest person I have ever known. I love being with my dad and we can sit and talk to each other for hours. His kindness, love and never ending support has made my life so much richer and happier. I love you dad!
Overview of Dad’s Coconut Chocolate Chip Scones
This chocolate chip scone recipe is gluten free, very healthy and so delicious. Even if you have no issues with gluten, you will love the taste of these chocolate chip scones.
- Dad’s Coconut Chocolate Chip scones are made with almond flour, millet flour and garbanzo bean flour; all of which are loaded with healthy nutrients.
- There is only 3 tablespoons of grape seed oil and no butter.
- In addition, these scones use coconut sugar which is loaded with valuable vitamins and minerals and tastes great.
- You can use any chocolate chips or carob chips of your choice.
I personally don’t like the taste of super dense scones, and this scone recipe is not as heavy as most. These scones are a cross between a cookie and a scone and can be eaten as a healthy breakfast, or a healthy dessert.
Most scones are nothing more than white flour, white sugar, eggs and butter. There are zero nutrients in most scones and they are quite fattening. These chocolate chip scones are actually really healthy for you, though you would never know it.
- 1 1/4 blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup of millet flour
- 1/2 cup of garbanzo flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened plain non fat yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/4 cup of applesauce
- 3 tablespoons of grape seed oil
- 1/3 cup of coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup of unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chocolate chips or carob chips.
Preheat oven to 350 F
1. Sift the flours, baking soda and baking powder and mix well.
2. Mix the chocolate chips and coconut together with the flour. (This helps it not sink when it is baked)
3. If you have a kitchen aid, use the paddle attachment and mix the eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla, coconut sugar, and yogurt until smooth.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
5. The batter will be sticky. Drop a spoonful of batter on a parchment lined baking sheet. (This will make round shaped scones)
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Do not over bake. Put on baking rack right after you take them out of the oven. Serve warm or cool and eat.
(Store in an airtight container on the counter. Do not put in refrigerator, or it will dry out. Freeze any scones that you will not eat within 2 days)
Enjoy your scones and be sure to make them for your favorite dad!