Summer is approaching! That means that all of the delicious fresh blueberries, strawberries, nectarines and peaches will be filling the stands at our farmers markets and in our grocery stores. Hooray!
This whole grain tart crust is so easy and can be made in MINUTES. There is no rolling dough, you don’t have to put the dough in the refrigerator before baking, and no beans are required when baking it in the oven.
Therefore, I will be doing a series of posts on tarts, how to decorate tarts, gluten free tart crusts, fancy tart crusts, and ideas of how to fill your tart crusts with fresh fruit to make healthy desserts.
The totally terrific tart crust is made using oat flour , whole grain oats, and whole wheat flour; thereby packing a punch with fiber and nutrients. It is sweetened with coconut sugar and uses NO butter. Instead this tart crust uses grape seed oil which is a very healthy oil to bake with.
The “Totally Terrific Tart Crust” recipe is very easy to make and is not as finicky as it typically is to make a tart crust.
- Most tart crust recipes use white flour, sugar and butter which require that you put beans on parchment paper while the tart is baking so it doesn’t rise. (You don’t need to do this with the Totally Terrific” whole grain tart crust.)
- Most tart crusts have you “cut in the butter” or process the dough in the food processor, which can be tricky to do just right. (It is impossible to mess up making this tart crust)
- Most recipes require that you put the dough in the refrigerator for a few hours before baking. (You don’t have to do this with the whole grain tart crust. Right after you mix it, you can put in the tart pan.) Hooray!”
- Most tarts require that you roll out the dough. Once again, this healthy tart crust recipe does not use ANY rolling of dough.
- If you like simple, healthy and delicious……then you have found your terrific tart crust.
- 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup of oat flour
- 1/4 cup of whole grain oats
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup of grape seed oil
- 1 cup of grain sweetened chocolate chips (Optional if you want a chocolate crust)
- 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom
Directions: (This tart crust takes 5 minutes to make….maybe)
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Sift the flours.
- Mix the flour, oats, oil and sugar together in a bowl.
- Roll into a flat circle.
- By hand, press the dough into the tart pan, pressing your fingers up on the edges so it looks pretty. (It will seem like you don’t have enough dough, but you will.)
- You don’t want the sides to be too thick, so push your finger on the edge of the pan and scrap off any dough on the top so you have an attractive edge.
Take out of the oven, cool and put in the refrigerator for a few hours before filling. (It is best to fill the tart crust with cold items)