Do you love chocolate cake? Would you love to eat a chocolate cake recipe that is moist, delicious, gluten free, dairy free and loaded with vitamins and minerals? I am particularly excited about this chocolate cake recipe, as it is one of the best chocolate cakes that I have ever had. I kid you not!
If you lined up 100 people, they would NEVER know that this chocolate cake recipe is healthy for you.
Overview of the Crazy Good Chocolate Cake Recipe
The secret ingredient in this chocolate cake recipe is coconut powder. Mixing hot water with equal parts of coconut powder gives it a rich, creamy texture that adds moisture to the cake. (Do not use coconut milk out of the carton, it is not the same) Also, if you are looking for a dairy free chocolate cake recipe, you have found it as long as you use dairy free chocolate.
This easy chocolate cake recipe takes minutes to make, and the optional chocolate frosting can be made in minutes also. This chocolate cake recipe is gluten free and uses a combination of almond flour and coconut flour which have amazing health benefits. With this chocolate cake recipe you are not eating empty calories; but rather you can indulge in a sweet treat that is really good for you.
This chocolate cake recipe is sweetened with a healthy sugar (coconut sugar) and the amazing part is the entire cake only uses 1/4 cup of butter. (Most chocolate cake recipes can use 1-2 sticks of butter)
Directions for the Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 cup Blanched Almond Flour (Do not use almond meal, it will not turn out)
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (Do not use Dutch-processed)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup of very hot water (Just shy of boiling)
- 2/3 cup of coconut powder
- 1/4 cup of softened butter (Do not melt, just soft)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 inch square pan
- Using the paddle attachment on your mixer, beat the softened butter with the coconut sugar. (This is called “creaming.” It gets air into the mixture which helps it rise)
- Add eggs and continue mixing for 1 minute until smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix together the hot water and the coconut milk until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk mixture (make sure it has cooled slightly) and mix for 1 more minute until combined. Add lemon juice and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your coconut flour, almond flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and mix by hand until smooth. It’s EASY!
- Spray oil oil on the 10 inch baking pan and pour chocolate cake mixture into pan.
- Bake on 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan and put it on a rack.
- Cover the cake and let it completely cool.
- Cut the cake in 1/2 if you want a double layer cake, or keep it as a single. Frost the middle, top or any part you would like. (This cake is so good it doesn’t even need chocolate frosting)
- Make the chocolate frosting (with no sugar) ahead of time and then frost the middle and the top of the cake.
- Garnish with fresh whipping cream or chocolate chips.
Ideal for a kids birthday party. This chocolate cake recipe is absolutely delicious!