Healthy Breakfast- Healthy Desserts -Gluten Free Baking – Dairy Free Baking- Chocolate Scones
My little boy Max is now 4 years old and he just LOVES to bake healthy treats with his mommy.
We talk about what we are putting into each recipe, and he often makes suggestions to “add more cinnamon,” or “another egg.” We make a mess, have a lot of fun, and together we experiment making new recipes.
The other day, Max came running down the stairs in the morning right after he woke up announcing that he wanted to bake chocolate scones for “Shoo Shoo,”…… who apparently was turning either 3…… or 5 …. , my son wasn’t exactly sure.
Although the news of Shoo Shoo’s birthday was a suprise to me, I was delighted to bake a sweet treat for him and off we went to create our chocolate scone recipe together.By the way, “Shoo Shoo” is Max’s BIG stuffed animal doggie that he has in his room. He dresses Shoo Shoo in every costume including a Super Man cape, and adorns him with metals, stickers and art. Today, was Shoo Shoos day to have a new recipe created in honor of his birthday.
Apparently it was Shoo Shoo’s BIG DAY and he wanted to celebrate.
That night when daddy came home, we all sang happy birthday to Shoo Shoo and ate these healthy chocolate scones at his birthday party.
These healthy chocolate scones are delicious as a healthy breakfast, or a healthy dessert. They are amazing in taste and are filled with fiber, vitamins and minerals to start your day off right. Combining almond flour, brown rice flour and coconut sugar, you can quickly and easily bake healthy scones that taste great.
Also, they are also dairy free as they use almond milk, and only use 2 tablespoons of the healthy fat- coconut oil. Please note: If you are a vegan baker you can substitute the eggs with egg replacers.
I love baking scones because they are so easy to make. You don’t need a mixer, and you can prepare everything in less than 10 minutes.
These healthy scones are GLUTEN FREE and only use a small amount of coconut sugar.
- 1 1/2 cups of blanched almond flour (only used blanched, not almond meal)
- 1 cup of brown rice flour
- 4 tablespoons of raw natural cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips, grain sweetened chocolate, or dairy free chocolate.
This recipe is EASY to make. You don’t need a mixer, and there is nothing to mess up. Literally within minutes you can mix all the ingredients together and have them in the oven.
Preheat oven to 350
- Whip the eggs in a bowl.2. Add almond milk, vanilla, coconut oil, applesauce mixed eggs together.3. In a separate bowl stir the almond flour, brown rice flour, the cocoa, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and chocolate chips.4. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and VOILA. EASY BREEZY!5. Bake chocolate scones for 20-22 minutes. You will smell them when they are done. Place them on a cooling rack immediately.
Once your scones have cooled, only keep out what you will eat that day in a covered container. Put all of the other scones in the freezer in a zip lock bag. The great news is they defrost easily the day you want to eat them.
TIP: If you have granite counter tops, they are wonderful to help things defrost quickly. Take your scones out in the morning and 1/2 hour later they are ready to eat. You can always microwave them for 10 seconds to make the chocolate chips slightly melt.