Do you believe that high fructose corn syrup is bad for your health? Do you look on the label of the things you buy and notice that EVERYTHING has high fructose corn syrup in it?
The Corn Refiners Association represents BIG companies that are trying to sell lots and lots of high fructose corn syrup!
Most people don’t know that there are POWERFUL lobbyist organizations that are doing everything in their power to try and convince consumers that high fructose corn syrup, (a processed, synthetic sweetener not found anywhere in corn), is well……not all that unhealthy to eat.
The Corn Refiners Association is the main association that represents the corn refining (wet milling) industry of the United States where high fructose corn syrup is made from. Since 2008, they have had a very expensive and long media public relations blitz of videos and web sites letting consumers know that high fructose corn syrup “isn’t………… all that bad!”
I hate to encourage ANY traffic to these videos, but moms have to know what our kids are watching and what advertising is out there trying to sell us harmful foods. Happy Woman Strolling Through Corn Fields Video: In this video, a beautiful woman strolls through corn fields saying…..”corn sugar, or cane sugar…..your body can not tell the difference.” She says that she looked at research from nutritionists and doctors and well…………sugar is sugar.”
If you make your living selling cigarettes, would you tell the public that cigarettes have been proven to decrease your life? Would you spend a lot of money telling people that your risk of lung cancer is much higher when your smoke? Of course you would not. You would loose your job and the product would disappear.
The Corn Refiners Association is doing the same thing. Ads with happy people, strolling around happily, in SUCH as happy way, saying that high fructose corn syrup, well…..”it isn’t all that bad.”
- High fructose corn syrup is very cheap to manufacture and is put in so many different processed foods.
- It is up to 70% cheaper than white processed refined sugar; which by the way is also is not healthy to eat. If you compare high fructose corn syrup to using whole food natural sweeteners like honey, agave, coconut sugar, maple syrup or date sugar…..it is outlandishly cheaper.
- Larger sizes of foods can be made for less cost and more profit…ie SUPER SIZE Cokes.
- Larger sizes of foods that have more high fructose corn syrup in them, means that people get more addicted to whatever that product is. (For example if ketchup has high fructose syrup in it, you will use more ketchup and sales increase.)
- High fructose corn syrup is a food preserver and makes foods last MUCH longer. (This greatly increases shelf life and reduces cost)
Question: Please add your thoughts and comments in the comment section and/or visit the Living Healthy Mom Facebook page. What concerns you the most about high fructose corn syrup?